Key areas for future work include:
- Detailed work on reconstructing conditions during the Lateglacial period and their implications for site location and survival.
- Systematic mapping and recording of cave potential for early sites, re-examination of existing cave assemblages, and targeted examination of new sites where appropriate.
- Synthesis of existing information on tool types and site locations, re-examination of existing assemblages, development of extensive dating strategies, and a focus on the publication of excavated sites.
- The excavations of the areas beyond the midden itself, especially the margins.
- Recognizing the combined archaeological and palaeoenvironmental potential of lateglacial kettle-holes and postglacial waterlogged deposits along river valleys.